For those who want to be healthy and in good shape, running is a fantastic sport. You can run in the park, in the woods, in the stadium or on the treadmill. However, not everyone can afford to go to the gym or run in the park. For weight loss at home, we recommend running on the spot. This type of running is actually not inferior to the usual option, even in the absence of a treadmill or other similar devices. In addition, running on the spot goes well with almost any home exercise program for weight loss, and when performed correctly can become an effective cardio load.
- Advantages and disadvantages of running on the spot
- Muscles working in place when running
- Running technique on the spot
- Ways to increase the load
- Running in place with knee lift
- Running with shin sweep
- Running program
- Day 1
- Day 2
- Day 3
- Clothes and shoes for running on the spot
- How many calories does running burn on the spot
- Breathing when running
- Pulse control during running on the spot
- Contraindications to running on the spot
Advantages and disadvantages of running on the spot
If you are going to use running for weight loss, you should exercise regularly. To achieve tangible results, you should also maintain a fairly intense pace throughout the workout. In addition to limiting the number of calories consumed, experts recommend:
- You will become more resilient
- Your cardiovascular system will be strengthened
- Increase the tone of the muscles of the body, buttocks and legs, as well as improve posture
- Appetite will decrease
- This is the most affordable type of running, for which you only need free space and comfortable shoes.
- Running helps to activate brain activity by improving blood circulation throughout the body
- The physical condition of the body will improve
- Running is the prevention of anemia, arrhythmia and tachycardia
- Promotes Calorie Burning
The disadvantages of running on the spot include:
- Pretty low intensity, compared to running outside. Therefore, if you decide to get in excellent physical shape thanks to home running, you will have to be patient and work hard.
- Monotony of training. Running in place at home for weight loss for weight loss is quite monotonous, so you will have to turn on a little creativity and pick up invigorating music for yourself.
- Lack of fresh air flow. During cardio, it is very important to inhale oxygen, but when running at home, this issue can be solved by opening a window.
There are many ways to turn these minor disadvantages into advantages. Changing the rhythm and power can increase the intensity. You can also use dumbbells in each hand to increase the intensity. Time will fly by faster, and you will feel much better if you study to your favorite music. As a result, we once again became convinced that the main thing is desire. Each of the shortcomings can be easily replaced by a more reasonable and interesting option.
When trying to lose weight in such a situation, it is not recommended to run on the spot at home:
- In case of injuries or diseases of the joints (arthrosis, coxarthrosis, etc.)
- During pregnancy
- In the presence of varicose veins (in some cases)
- BMI over 35
- With serious problems with the spine
Muscles working in place when running
When running on the spot, calves work the most. When running, almost every muscle works to one degree or another. The exercise is also aimed at the muscles of the quadriceps, which are located in the front of the legs. It is these muscles that allow people to stand, walk and run in place. Thanks to their role in resilience and endurance, you can stand and walk. Thanks to them, the body maintains an upright position. These muscles are also responsible for the width and shape of the buttocks. In addition, running in place improves balance and stability, which will help you walk long distances, jump rope and make jogging longer.
Running technique on the spot
Running in place seems simple at first, but it’s actually harder than it sounds. Learn the nuances of this exercise before you start training in order to perform it correctly. It is also important to pay attention to the types of running that can be performed at home, which will help to diversify home workouts. The more strictly you observe the running technique, the more benefits you will get from it. For weight loss, it is not necessary to run on the spot on a special sports mat, you can do without it. Be sure to wear sneakers that will contribute to the correct position of the legs during the exercise.
- Preparation for the lesson is quite simple. All you need to do at this stage is to put on sneakers, turn on energetic music and open the window for ventilation.
- Warm-up should consist of joint gymnastics, squats and brisk walking in place
- For proper body positioning, use a wall. Leaning on it with both hands, move forward a little. Running will take place in this position.
- To start running, you should stand straight. Raise your bent arms along your torso, with one arm positioned below and the other higher.
- Now start running, while trying to tear your legs off the floor higher, this will increase the effectiveness of the performance. Do not forget to actively move your hands. The back is straight and smooth.
- When running, try to breathe through your nose, you can also inhale with your nose, exhale with your mouth
- You should land on your toes, not on your heels, try to extend your knees when pushing off the floor.
Another type of running that can be practiced at home is running with a high hip lift. This type will be useful to those who are well engaged in the gym or have good physical fitness. Using a high hip lift while running is not difficult. Once landed, place your foot on your toe and raise your knees until your waist is at foot level. For control, you can keep your arms bent at the elbows in front of you and try to reach your palms to the knee with each movement. The intensity here is quite high, so you will have to try hard to withstand the entire workout at the right pace. There is also a running with a shin sweep. In this exercise, you need to try to hit the heel on the buttocks.
Ways to increase the load
In addition to physical exercises, the training program includes other exercises that help people lose weight and find a beautiful body. Anaerobic exercises such as push-ups, weight training and dumbbell workouts are also recommended. Weight loss and weight loss will lead to a slimmer figure if you include exercises with a jump rope in the training. To load the muscles of the legs, you can use the following techniques:
- running with raising the knees;
- running with a sweep of the lower leg;
- mixed media.
Strengthening training by lifting the knee and kneading the lower leg is a short-term solution.
Running in place with knee lift
Because of the strain on the ligaments and joints caused by running in place with a high knee lift, running in place with a high knee lift is an intense endurance workout. If you have running experience, use this technique only after warming up. Incorporate challenging elements, such as knee lifts and shin splashes, after a normal run. When training with a high knee lift, the load increases, and the exercise is shortened. While running, you can raise your knees as part of your cardio workout. The legs, lower back, back and buttocks also involve the abdominal press. You can take small breaks between strenuous running if you incorporate this technique into your workout regimen. Depending on the level of physical fitness of a person, different types of training are chosen. Example of load alternation:
- Running on the spot – 12 minutes
- Knee-lift running – 20 seconds
- Running on the spot – 1 minute
- Walking – 10 seconds
- Running on the spot 3 minutes
- Knee-lift running – 20 seconds
To increase the intensity and load, the training includes running with a knee lift.
Running with shin sweep
When running with a sweep of the lower leg, the body should be tilted forward. Your goal should be to touch the heel of your foot to your buttocks during the exercise. Despite the intensity of the workout, the load on the knees and pelvis is less than when jogging. When performing this exercise, the gluteal region, as well as the back of the thighs, receive an intense load. The technique allows you to reduce weight, form a beautiful silhouette, tone the body, starts the process of healing and rejuvenation of the body.
Here’s a home exercise program to help you lose weight while running in place.
After warming up walking for five minutes, perform 15 push-ups and 15 squats. Running against the wall for 2 minutes alternates with a quick run on the spot for 4 minutes. Run for 20-30 minutes. A good way to warm up is to walk around the apartment and then stretch.
Warm-up: 5 minutes walk, then 30 squats. Alternate running with a high hip lift for 2 minutes and running at a calm pace for 10 minutes, repeat the interval 2-3 times. Hitch: walking, stretching.
Walk, bend, lunge forward, and twist your abdominal muscles during a warm-up. Rubbing the shins for 3 minutes and classic running for 5 minutes make up the main part. Run for 20-30 minutes. Hitch: stretching. After a few weeks of such training, you will need to increase the load. Adding additional strength training before performing the main workout can increase the intensity of the exercise or increase its duration. If you don’t have access to a gym or don’t have the ability to run outside, running on-site at home for weight loss is a great alternative. You can make the training process much more enjoyable and effective if you apply the right running technique on the spot and do all the exercises correctly.
Clothes and shoes for running on the spot
Simple equipment includes running shoes, a T-shirt (men can do without it, women should wear a sports bra), shorts, cycling shoes or leggings. Do what is comfortable and not too hot indoors. You can choose sneakers without strong depreciation. If you don’t land on your heel, it won’t be a problem. Ideally, shoes should not squeeze or dangle on the foot, but should sit securely. Rubbing and excessive friction with clothing should also be avoided. You can download and start preparing for the next marathon or half marathon. Put your feet on the training mat to get the most out of your workout. Removing the shoes prevents the foot from sliding on the floor (along with the shoes) when it hits the ground. But it is necessary that the mat itself is non-slip.
How many calories does running burn on the spot
In 20 minutes of training, you will burn about 100 kcal. To be realistic, a workout lasting 30-40 minutes should burn 300-400 calories. That’s how much you have to train your heart and respiratory system. By burning more calories, the workout will become more intense. Adding a shin spread or a high knee lift will increase your flexibility. Ideally, alternate running in place for three minutes and exercising for 20 seconds. Your center of gravity shouldn’t change, so stay put. These two exercises have a positive effect on honing your running technique and diversify your monotonous workout.
Breathing when running
When determining whether running in place is beneficial, it is important to consider the loads and techniques that affect runners’ breathing. While running, it is important to exhale through the mouth and rhythmically inhale. The exhalation should be twice as long as the inhalation. The pace, tactics, and rhythm of running don’t matter in on-site workouts, and you also don’t adjust your breathing based on these factors. Running in place makes breathing easier because it’s easier to maintain even breathing. To maintain the boundaries of the heart rate zone, it is necessary to regularly measure the parameters during training. When playing sports in the room, it is important to regularly ventilate the room so that the body receives enough oxygen. If necessary, you can transfer the training to the loggia or balcony.
Pulse control during running on the spot
If you’re running on the spot, you should track your pulse just like if you were running elsewhere. To determine the correct load, the pulse is the only indicator. To calculate the pulse zones, it is first necessary to determine the maximum heart rate. Depending on how many years the runner is engaged in running, it is calculated according to the Robergs-Landwehr formula: HRmax = 205.8 – (0.685 * age). A treadmill test using special equipment can give the most accurate results, since the maximum heart rate will differ in athletes with different levels of training.
Contraindications to running on the spot
There are universal contraindications to training: general malaise, fatigue, overtraining, colds, serious illness, active trauma. A person who: is forbidden to run on the spot, even if he wants to.
- heart failure;
- heart defect;
Running on the spot at home is possible for runners who have suffered an injury and are recovering from it.
For those who are unwilling or unable to run regularly, running in place can be a great alternative. Exercise helps you stay in shape, loads your muscles and heart, and even helps you lose weight.
- Running on the spot improves metabolic processes, promotes cell renewal, helps to start the processes of rejuvenation in the body.
- The average duration of training for weight loss is 20-40 minutes. The first results will appear in 2-3 weeks.
- Start running on the spot as gradually as you would any other activity. Don’t forget about stretching and warming up before and after the race.
- Proper running technique and the location of the body can reduce tension from the spine, from the lower back and save energy costs
- Knowing your heart rate zones will help determine which heart rate zones you should run in to lose weight, and at the same time feel comfortable.
- When practicing in the room, it is important to regularly ventilate the room to saturate the body with oxygen. If necessary, you can move the workout to the loggia or balcony.
- Optimally, before training, take tests and consult a doctor.
To avoid harm, and in the long term to improve the technique of running, it is extremely important to observe the technique of performing the exercise. Observing pulse zones and running on the spot for 30-40 minutes 2-3 times a week, you will reap the fruits. If you have contraindications to training, do not start exercising. Warm up and warm up before training.